Missionary Part I

If Christ is in you, then you are missionary and you are told to be on a mission. There is no getting around this.

"In John's gospel alone, Jesus told us no less than 39 times that he was a missionary from heaven who came to minister incarnationally to an earthly culture. Further more, Jesus has called us to be missionaries in culture as he was. (John 20:21'as the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.') The Father sent Jesus into a specific time and culture as our example."
- Mark Driscoll from "The Church and the Supremacy of Christ

A few of those 39 times are:

John 4:34 Jesus said to them, My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.

John 5:23 Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

John 5:30 can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.

These are just three of the times in the gospel of John where Jesus talks about being sent by God. Know this, God has placed in you the time and the place where you currently find yourself for a purpose. That purpose is to live a life sent by God. That is what being a missionary is, one who is sent on a mission. God has sent you on a mission and Jesus is your model.

0 comments: