Is Jesus picking on you?

I am working on the third message in the Images of Jesus series. In the verses of chapter 2 of the Gospel of Mark, Jesus begins to pick on the religious people. They are called scribes in these verses.

Most of the time when I read about Jesus picking on the religious people, I think that he is talking about the blue haired ladies and the grumpy old men who tell you not to run in church. Or the people at my daughter's Christian school that make up the dress code that says no flip flops or stitching on jeans and shirts must have a collar, as if a collar is going to save my daughter from hell or keep a 2nd grade boy from lusting after her.

But if I allow myself to think clearly, he is talking about me. I am a religious person. I connect with the Pharisees and scribes a lot more than I readily admit. Come join us this week and hear Jesus picking on religious people and watch him start a life friendship with a murdering cheat.

0 comments: