Some thoughts on culture involvement

This comes from theresurgence.com, written by Jonathan Dodson (I do not know his background)

"Instead of simply condemning, critiquing, consuming, and copying culture, the way forward is to create a good alternative. Otherwise, we are simply left at square one, with very little Christian progress in various cultures. So, instead of bemoaning bad movies, make better ones. Instead of copying contemporary music and inserting Christian lyrics, create new music and contribute to cultural change through innovation and creativity. Draw attention to your Creator through superior or innovative cultural action."


This articulates my critique on main stream Christian culture and the main stream Christian response to culture very well.

I was indirectly taught as a young person to fear culture. I was told to fear the R rating without looking into why. I was taught to fear certain bands and the people who liked them. I was told to not watch shows like The Simpson's and 90210 and NYPD Blue.

I was also told to like artists like Amy Grant and Petra and if I was really edgy Stryper.

I love Dodson's words, "Draw attention to your creator through superior or innovative cultural action." What a great statement and imperative for us.

Dodson also paraphrases author Andy Crouch by saying, "I have advocated the making of culture—good culture for an infinitely good Creator."

0 comments: