Greed, Baseball and Albert Pujols

I put up a tweet today that simply said "Greed..." I am not sure if greed was a factor in Albert's decision to leave St. Louis to go play for the Angels. I suspect that it was at least some sort of factor, but I do not know him personally. I don't want to make a judgment about Albert, at least I do not intend to.

Ultimately greed is bad and it is in everyone of our hearts. This Pujols situation is a platform to expose the greed that is in our culture. Again, I do not intend to label Albert as greedy, there may have been other circumstances in play that I am not aware of. Even if Albert was completely motivated by greed, the conversation of greed in our culture does not start or end with Albert Pujols. It is present with or without a $260,000,000 contract to play baseball.

Many have said, "If someone offered you more money to move, you would move." But that does not make it right. It just means that I might be influenced by greed or pride or the need to be respected through money. If I am influenced by those things then I am wrong and have sin in my life. We all have sin in our lives.

This is present everywhere. According to Forbe's magazine, in a 12 month period Johnny Depp made $75,000,000. Ben Stiller made $53,000,000. Tom Hanks made $45,000,000. That is just silly.

Meanwhile, take a look at the price of a movie ticket. Take a look at the escalation of baseball ticket prices.

What I object to is calling pride and greed, ambition and business. Pride and greed are sins and they are both present in us all and should not be celebrated. They should be identified and rooted out of us.

The whole process and this whole blog post serve to take us to the gospel. Proving once again, that we are filled with sin and in need of redemption. Forgiveness of sin and complete forgiveness and redemption is offered through Jesus Christ.

0 comments: