Gospel, gospel, gospel

The word "Gospel" has become a word crutch. What I mean is that when you can't think of something to say, you say "Gospel". I am guilty of this in my preaching many times and in my conversation about spiritual things even more.

We hear about gospel centered Bible studies, gospel centered mission, gospel center relationships. All of this leads to confusion and serves to move us away from the actual gospel.

That being said, my favorite teacher on the subject of the gospel is Matt Chandler and he came with a book recently called, "The Explicit Gospel". I picked up a copy with the above two paragraphs in mind and sort of fed up with our fascination and misuse of the term. But, it was Chandler, so I bought it and gave it a read.

This whole blog post is about me asking you to go get this book and read every word. Please, go here and get a copy. They are also on sale at Lifeway.

I have been reading this book in the park this week during my lunch hour. Every time, as I walk back to my office, I find myself thanking God for the gospel and for Matt Chandler.

Thanks for reading.

0 comments: