Attitude and Giving

I am reading a book called Returning to Holiness. The chapter that I am on is about sins of attitude. There is a statement in the chapter that says, "the very root of sin is love and worship of self over God."

I have been pondering this notion and being convicted of it in last few weeks and especially the last few days. I was having a conversation with a friendabout how I am concerned with myself and providing for my own wants and needs. I do things for my wife so that she will do them for me. I want to turn on the tv for the kids and get them in bed early so that I can have some time to myself. Time that I will use to browse the net for the latest on baseball or football. I am giving up others to serve myself.

Phil 2:3-9
In humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant,being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name.

God would you rid my heart of the filthiness of selfishness and pride and laziness. Would you cause me to give away myself and give into the needs of others. May I give up myself and give of myself for your purposes. Consume my heart with thoughts of eternal things.

0 comments: