From My Utmost


Today's Reading from My Utmost for His Highest

This is a great and simple reading. Sometimes these readings can be hard and very deep. This one is beautifully easy and simple, but still full of truth.

The last thought Chambers gives us is this, "Are we alone with Him now, or are we taken up with little fussy notions, fussy comradeships in God's service, fussy ideas about our bodies? Jesus can expound nothing until we get through all the noisy questions of the head and are alone with Him."

I love that notion of fussy notions, fussy comradeships and fussy ideas. What is cluttering your brain that keeps you from being alone with God? Chambers talks about affliction heartbreak or temptation being a factor is God getting us alone with himself.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday. It was a long full day. But I remember sitting down at Pi for dinner. I knew when we left Pi we were going home to a surprise party for her and there would be lots of people in our home. We had just come from a movie and she had spent the morning with some girl friends. This was going to be my only time to really engage her and talk to her on her day.

To our left was a TV with Sports Center on. Usually I would have been distracted by that and not fully engaged in the conversation with her. But on this day, her birthday, a day when I wanted to celebrate her all day long, I was not. I was fully engaged in her. This was my time to just be alone with my wife. It was wonderful.

Ask God in this moment to give you some alone time today. Today is a day to celebrate Him, do not be distracted, take time to be alone with Him today, maybe even now.

0 comments: