Mexico Team Day 4 Update


One of the most important things for our team and the thing that we want to convey most on this update blog is what God is doing and how we see him working as we work.

Kelso is a new friend of most of those on our team. I (Rik) met her last summer during my time teaching at Super Summer. She has connected with our group and it feels like she has been a part of our group for years. Kelso is the author of the post tonight.

I can’t say I’m the best person to be writing this today. I guess it’s because I didn’t spend a ton of time “serving” at the church. I played some rad soccer and Frisbee with the kiddos, snuggled babies and went to the market. But, while spending time with the babies and their moms, I was reminded of one thing: “Love is omnilingual.” Yes, that word is made up, and it may even be a bit foolish, but Rik said that in our first meeting for the trip, and it has stuck with me. (I may even try to fashion a little painting out of it when I get home.) I was reminded of this when I looked into those little babies’ eyes, when I saw Dennis pick them up and quietly speak to them in Spanish and when I observed the mothers. 

There’s something so massively fabulous about love. We don’t deserve it, but we all long for it. We all give, and receive, it in our own special ways. The Lord put on my mind that this little word, love, is why these young girls have these babies in the first place. They sought out the ‘love’ they didn’t receive from their fathers, mothers or other family members. So, they find someone who will show them ‘love.’ This love is satisfying for a moment, or maybe it’s not satisfying at all. And, I wonder if when they gaze upon their babies if they are reminded of their need for love. Do they try to love their daughters and sons greater, so they don’t seek out the same ‘love’ they did? 

I think their babies already know how to love greater. Yesterday, during church I held one of the little girls, well really, she held me. Lately, I have experienced loneliness. For the first time in a while, standing in the back of a church, dancing to praise music that I didn’t know the words to, this little one wrapped her arms around my neck and held on, and I did not feel alone. Maybe she sensed my loneliness, maybe she saw me crying, but either way, she held on. In that moment, she was Jesus to me. Jesus whispered his love to me, and I was so thankful. 

I hope that’s what these mommies feel when their babies hug them. I hope they find the love of Jesus through their children. I also hope, because of their babies, they no longer have to go look for men who are going to use and abuse them, because how glorious it would be to see these situations and the products of the situations redeemed. 

So, I’m not sure this meets the criteria of what I was supposed to write. Nor do I really have the best recap of the day, but I know what they Lord has been teaching me. He’s been teaching me, once again, that his love is available to all, and all need his love. Also, I am never above needing his love, nor am I above being “out-Jesused” by a child.

0 comments: