From my prayer time

With 2013 being a year where we seek to lead North Church and others to prayer and communion with God, I want to post times some thoughts from my times of prayer and how I am praying.

Typically I will read a Psalm (I am going in order each day) just after I wake up and then allow that Psalm to set the mood for my prayer that morning and throughout the day. Yesterday I read Psalm 40. Two verses stuck in my head and provided the focus for my prayer and desire to commune with God.

40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. 
40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust.

These verses led me pray something like this, "God teach me to trust you, teach me to wait patiently for you. I want to have an immediate response to trouble of patience and trust in your will and work." God would you burn that into me? Make me a man of patience and trust. God you promise to draw hear and incline your ear to the patient. You promise to make your self known to the one who trusts you. God I want you for the sake of you and not for my circumstances to change. God teach me and show me patience and trust." 

Throughout the day, I said and thought to myself, "wait patiently...blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust." I got a chance to connect with a close friend about a life situation he was wrestling with. These meditation and prayers were just exactly what God was pushing him toward. 

Later, I had two meetings. One with a baseball team for Cooper and another for church. I was feeling overwhelmed and easily agitated and frustrated. I knew it was happening. The trust and patience meditation were no longer winning. The present overwhelming was winning. So, as I went to bed, those meditations came back into my mind and I prayed as I fell asleep and asked God to allow patience and trust to rule.

Thanks for reading!

0 comments: